CAMP HANSEN (Apr 7, 2006) -- "Some people were just born to lead. They tend to be the best at everything they attempt, sometimes without even trying."

This is how Gunnery Sgt. Donald Praska describes Cpl. Stephanie M. Mendez, the 2005 III Marine Expeditionary Force Marine of the Year. Earning the honor was a natural progression during her exemplary career in the Marine Corps, he added.

Mendez, 19, was recently meritoriously promoted to the rank of corporal and awarded a Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal for her accomplishment. In addition, she was named the United Service Organizations' Marine of the Year on Okinawa for extensive volunteer work.

Mendez' sterling career began at age 17 when she left home for Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island on June 21, 2004.

"I knew the Marine Corps was the biggest and baddest, and I wanted to be a part of that," said Mendez, a Thurmont, Md., native.

Mendez served as platoon guide during both boot camp and Marine Combat Training and was the class leader at her military occupational school.

"When she jumps into things, she jumps in with both feet," said Cathie Naugle, Mendez' mother. "Ever since she was a baby, she did her own thing and was always the best."

When Mendez, a basic electrician by military occupational speciality, arrived at her unit, 3rd Medical Battalion, 3rd Marine Logistics Group, in Jan. 2005, she soon discovered that she would continue to set the example in whatever she did.

"There isn't a lot of work for electricians at 3rd (Medical Bn.), so I filled the billets of training chief, battalion (physical fitness test) coordinator and monitor, and the (marksmanship training unit) chief," Mendez said. "I've been filling these billets ever since."

Even though Mendez says her work is demanding, she manages to win Marine of the Quarter for both 3rd Medical Bn. and 3rd MLG for the fourth quarter.

Praska, the company gunnery sergeant for Headquarters and Service Company, 3rd Medical Bn., considers Mendez his "right hand man."

"If she's tasked with something, I don't need to follow up on her," Praska said. "I know she will get it done to 100 percent of her ability."

As well as carrying out her duties, Mendez has spent countless hours of her off-duty time volunteering her time for both on- and off-base communities.

"I feel that she thinks she owes it to the people and tries to give something back," Praska said.

Mendez has donated her time to numerous organizations and centers including: Boy Scouts of America, Kagie Elementary School, Hikaniga Oka Nursing Home and Camp Hansen's Amateur Musicians Club.

"When I was young, I gave a lot of time to D.A.R.E. and Goodwill," Mendez said. "After you form a relationship with the people you're helping, it's hard to leave."

Mendez, a self-proclaimed "lifer," has plans of applying for the Marine Enlisted Commissioning Education Program to become an officer.

"I had aspirations of being an officer before enlisting," Mendez said. "I enlisted to learn more about the Marine Corps so that I may be a better leader. I look forward to the challenge of senior leadership as an officer."

In the meantime, Mendez looks forward not only to setting an example for Marines, but her two brothers Christian, 20, and Lazarus, 7.

"I'm going back to Parris Island in May to watch my older brother graduate boot camp," Mendez said. "I can't wait to spend time with both of them."

Naugle said she is not surprised at all about her daughter's accomplishments and knows she will continue to be the best for years to come.

"She's going to stay in until they kick her out," Naygle said.

Ellie